Ця сторінка також доступна українською.
A variety of resources have been used in the development of the rehabilitation project for the old Jewish cemetery in Rohatyn. Many print and electronic references are gathered on the webpages of the Guide to Jewish Cemetery Preservation in Western Ukraine; a selection of the specific references used for this Rohatyn project are listed and linked below. Examples and suggestions from other projects are found among the case studies and guidelines on the same website; several of these examples relevant to the Rohatyn project are also illustrated below.
- A Graveyard Preservation Primer; Lynette Strangstad; AltaMira Press / AASL; 2nd edition, 2013.
- Curated Decay: Heritage Beyond Saving; Caitlin DeSilvey; University of Minnesota Press; 2017.
- Good Practices in the Preservation and Promotion of Jewish Heritage: A Guide Based on the Polish and Belarusian Experiences; A. Bielawska, A. Maksimowska, and A. Sidarovich, eds; Museum of the History of Polish Jews, 2012.
- The care of old cemeteries and gravestones; Lance R. Mayer; Association for Gravestone Studies, Markers Vol. 1, 1980; pp. 119-142.
- Anticipating loss: rethinking endangerment in heritage futures; Caitlin DeSilvey and Rodney Harrison; International Journal of Heritage Studies; Vol. 26, Issue 1, 2019; pp. 1-7.
- Jewish Memorial Practice; Samuel D. Gruber; in The Archaeology of Medieval Europe; Martin Carver and Jan Klápště; Aarhus University Press, 2011; pp.522-525.Jewish Memorial Practice; Samuel D. Gruber; in The Archaeology of Medieval Europe; Martin Carver and Jan Klápště; Aarhus University Press, 2011; pp.522-525.
- Jewish Law and Exhumation; Rabbi Michael Schudrich; in Killing Sites – Research and Remembrance; International Remembrance Alliance, ed.; IHRA/Metropol, 2015; pp.79-84.
- Down to Earth: Conservation Decision-Making for Historic Cemeteries; NCPTT; YouTube, 2014.
Site Surveys and Research
- Recording, Documentation, and Information Management for the Conservation of Heritage Places: Vol. 1, Guiding Principles; Robin Letellier, Werner Schmid, and François LeBlanc; Getty Conservation Institute; 2007. Free e-book available.
- Recording, Documentation, and Information Management for the Conservation of Heritage Places: Vol. 2, Illustrated Examples; Rand Eppich and Amel Chabbi, eds.; Getty Conservation Institute; 2007. Free e-book available (downloadable in sections).
- Survey Methodology for the Preservation of Historic Burial Grounds and Cemeteries; Frank G. Matero and Judy Peters; APT Bulletin, Vol. 34, No. 2/3, 2003, pp. 37-45. Free download available.
- Applying scientific rigor to photogrammetric 3D documentation for cultural heritage and natural science materials; Cultural Heritage Imaging / NCPTT; final report, 2018.
- Cemetery Conditions Assessment Form, with Conditions Survey Definitions; NCPTT, 2012.
- Recording cemetery data; F. Joanne Baker, Daniel Farber, and Anne G. Giesecke; Association for Gravestone Studies, Markers Vol. 1, 1980; pp. 99-118.
- Deciphering Jewish Gravestones; Philip Trauring; B&F: Jewish Genealogy and More; web page, 2020. Also available as a pdf.
- Jewish Gravestone Symbols; Philip Trauring; B&F: Jewish Genealogy and More; web page, 2011.
- The Basics for Cemetery Documentation; NCPTT; YouTube, 2013.
- Not Seeing the Cemetery for the Monuments: Understanding the Importance of Preservation Assessments; NCPTT; YouTube, 2014.
Photos from site survey work by ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, Jewish Galicia and Bukovina, and the Foundation for the Documentation of Jewish Cemeteries in Poland, and the cover of the book on The Jewish Cemetery in Halych:
Site Clearing, Cleaning, and Reconditioning
- Selecting Tools for Pruning Plants, Trees, and Shrubs; Marie Iannotti; The Spruce, 2018.
- How To Choose A Lopper: The Complete Guide; Yates Harrison; PruningCuts.com, web page, undated.
- How To Use Loppers; Jonathan Landsman; The Spruce, 2019.
- How To Use A Pruning Saw; Jonathan Landsman; The Spruce, 2020.
- Pruning Dead, Damaged and Diseased Wood; Jonathan Landsman; The Spruce, 2019.
- Handtools for Trail Work; US Forest Service, 2005.
- Handling brushcutters well in any situation; Stihl AG; web page series, undated.
- Chain Saw Use and Maintenance; Stihl AG; web page series, undated.
- Stihl Video Tutorials: Chain Saws and Brushcutters; Stihl AG; web page series, undated.
- Everything to Know about the Scythe; Bare Mtn Farm, YouTube, 2019.
Memorial Design, Development, and Care
- Monuments and Memorials; James E. Young; The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe; YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, web page, 2010.
- Rachel and the Rabbi: In Paris’s Pere Lachaise Cemetery, Two Very Different Representatives of 19th-Century French Judaism Come Together in Nearby Tombs; Samuel D. Gruber; Samuel Gruber’s Jewish Art & Monuments; website, 2020.
- International Survey of Jewish Monuments (ISJM); website, 1977~present. Also with an active Facebook page.
- Public Art and Memory; Samuel D. Gruber; website and blog, 2012~present.
Photos from cemetery and mass grave sites in Kyiv (two Jewish memorials and a Roma memorial), cemeteries in Ostroh and Obertyn (both also in Ukraine), a cemetery in Rhodes and a Holocaust memorial in Athens (both in Greece):
Landscape Planning, Development, and Care
- Doing Almost Nothing: The Landscapes of Georges Descombes; Marc Treib; ORO Editions, 2019.
- Austere Gardens: Thoughts on Landscape, Restraint, & Attending; Marc Treib; ORO Editions, 2016.
- The Antidote to Excess; Jacky Bowring; Landscape Architecture Magazine, April 2019, pp.150-158. Free download available.
- Cemeteries and Memorials (Realized Projects); Landezine Landscape Architecture Platform, web page, undated.
- Commemorative Landscape; The Cultural Landscape Foundation, web database, undated.
- Tree Owner’s Manual (NA–FR–01–10); Jill R. Johnson, Gary R. Johnson, Maureen H. McDonough, Lisa L. Burban, Janette K. Monear; USDA Forest Service, 2010.
- Planting Boxwood Hedges in Historic Gardens; Jamie McGuane and Charlie Pepper; NCPTT / NPS Olmsted Center for Landscape Preservation, YouTube, 2015.
Landscaping designs with hard and soft materials in the Jewish cemeteries of Ostroh and Pidhaitsi (both in Ukraine):
Stone Conservation, Documentation, and Care
- Stone Conservation: Principles and Practice; Alison Henry, ed.; Routledge; 2006.
- Illustrated glossary on stone deterioration patterns; ICOMOS-ISCS, 2008.
- Performance Evaluation of Mechanical Pinning Repair of Sandstone (MS thesis); Marco J. Federico; University of Pennsylvania Scholarly Commons, 2008.
- Alkoxysilanes Consolidation of Stone and Earthen Building Materials (MS thesis); Isil Öztürk; University of Pennsylvania Scholarly Commons, 1992.
- Comparative Study of Commercially Available Cleaners for use on (US) Federally-issued Headstones; Mary F. Striegel and Jason W. Church; NCPTT, final report 2011.
- Preserving Grave Markers in Historic Cemeteries; Mary F. Striegel, Frances Gale, Jason Church, and Debbie Dietrich-Smith; US National Park Service, 2016.
- Best Practices: Summercamp 2019, Bagnowka Jewish Cemetery; Jewish Epitaphs, 2019.
- Tablet Set Basics (part of a series); Cemetery Conservators for United Standards; web page, undated.
- Calculating the Weight of Stone; NCPTT; web page, 2012.
- Consolidation, and Learning How Stones “Breathe”; Alison Rohly; NCPTT, 2017.
- Water Soak Cleaning of Limestone; Robert M. Powers; US National Park Service Preservation Tech Notes, 1992.
- Stowarzyszenie Magurycz; web site, undated.
- Monument Setting; Jonathan Appell; GravestonePreservation.info, 2010.
- Cleaning Gravestones, Monuments & Stone Sculptures; GravestonePreservation.info, 2010.
- Gravestone Cleaning: What Not To Do; Jonathan Appell; GravestonePreservation.info, 2010.
- Essentials for Cemetery Monument Care; NCPTT; YouTube, 2012.
- Cleaning a Stone Grave Marker; Jason Church; NCPTT, YouTube, 2007.
- Lifting and Hoisting Stone Grave Markers; NCPTT; YouTube, 2010.
- Resetting a Stone Grave Marker: Vol. 1 stacked base with pins; NCPTT; YouTube, 2007.
- Resetting Ground Supporting Headstones: Resetting Volume 3; NCPTT; YouTube, 2016.
A general view of headstone rehabilitation work in Poland by Stowarzyszenie Magurycz, plus views of stone cleaning, foundation renewal, lifting and resetting, repairing, pinning, and reassembly with epoxy:
Directional and Information Signage
- Знаки дорожні: Загальні технічні умови; Правила застосування. (Road signs: General specifications; Rules of application.); ДСТУ 4100-2002 §33; Національний стандарт України, 2002. Free download available. See also this Wikipedia article.
- Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals; United Nations Publication ECE/TRANS/196; 1968 (entered into force 1978). See also this Wikipedia article.
- Graphical symbols — Public information symbols; ISO 7001; International Organization for Standardization (ISO), 2007.
- Designing for Participation within Cultural Heritage; Sara Radice; Lambert Academic Publishing, 2015.
A wide variety of directional, identification, and information signs and plaques from Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, and Greece:
Fences, Walls, and Gates
- Fences, Walls & Gates: Building Techniques, Tools and Materials, Design Ideas; Sunset Books, eds.; Oxmoor House, 2004.
- How to build a fence; The Conservation Volunteers; web page, undated.
- Iron Fence Repair; Jason Church; NCPTT, YouTube, 2007.
- Basics for Iron Fencing Care; NCPTT; YouTube, 2009.
- Basics in Iron Fence Care; NCPTT; YouTube, 2012.
- Cemetery Ironwork; Chicora Foundation; web page, undated.
Several examples of fences erected by ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative around Jewish cemeteries in Busk, Bila Tserkva, and Zbarazh (all in western Ukraine):
- Managing Change: Sustainable Approaches to the Conservation of the Built Environment; Jeanne Marie Teutonico and Frank Matero, eds.; Getty Conservation Institute; 2001. Free e-book available.
- Sustainable tourism, a selective bibliography; ICOMOS Documentation Centre, 2017.
- Perpetual Care: A Sustainable Approach to Restoring the Lost Landscapes of America’s Rural Cemeteries (MS thesis); Benjamin Gilbert Buckley; University of Pennsylvania Scholarly Commons, 2013.
- Disaster Preparedness and Response for Historic Cemeteries; Jason Church; NCPTT, YouTube, 2013.
A few of the challenges in maintaining Jewish cemeteries, in Sasovo, Shchyrets, Skelivka, Vyshnivets, and Berehove (all in Ukraine):
Project Support and Funding
- The Grants Guide: A Workbook for Civic Activists; Ashleigh Graves-Roesler and Bryan Roesler; self-published with Teple Misto on issuu.com, 2018. Also available in Ukrainian.
- Consensus Building, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution for Heritage Place Management; David Myers, Stacie Nicole Smith, and Gail Ostergren, eds.; Getty Conservation Institute; 2016. Free e-book available.
- The Role of Public-Private Partnerships and the Third Sector in Conserving Heritage Buildings, Sites, and Historic Urban Areas; Susan Macdonald and Caroline Cheong; Getty Conservation Institute; 2014. Free e-book available.
- The Production of Heritage: The Politicisation of Architectural Conservation; Alan Chandler and Michela Pace; Routledge, 2019.
- Jewish Heritage Europe / News; Ruth Ellen Gruber for the Rothschild Foundation (Hanadiv) Europe (RFHE); web page, ongoing.
- Quill Grant Writing Services; Quill Consulting LLC; website, ongoing.
- TechSoup Ukraine; website, ongoing. See also TechSoup US and partners around the world.
- SketchUp for Non-Profits; Trimble; web page, ongoing.
- Erasmus+ Ukraine; European Commission; website, ongoing. See also the umbrella program on the EC website and an explanatory guide from the Ukraine Info Centre.
- European Solidarity Corps; European Commission; website, ongoing. (Replaces EVS – European Voluntary Service.)
- Євродеск Україна (Eurodesk Ukraine); Національним координатором в Україні (National Youth Council of Ukraine – NYCUkraine); website, ongoing.
Generous support for the Rohatyn old Jewish cemetery in the form of hardworking volunteers from the Peace Corps in Ukraine, The Matzevah Foundation, Holocaust researchers, Rohatyn students, and Ukrainian and other civil society activists:
Communication and Public History
- Public History: A Practical Guide; Faye Sayer; Bloomsbury Academic, 2015.
- Researching and Writing History: A Guide for Local Historians; David Dymond; Carnegie Publishing Ltd, 2016.
- Heritage and Social Media: Understanding Heritage in a Participatory Culture; Elisa Giaccardi; Routledge, 2012.
- Curating Difficult Knowledge: Violent Pasts in Public Places; Erica Lehrer, et al., eds.; Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- WordPress: The Missing Manual; Matthew MacDonald; O’Reilly, 2014.
- Social Media for NGOs – Why, How, and Which ones?; Eva Wieners; proposalsforNGOs; web page, undated.
- The Role of the Internet in Jewish Heritage Preservation; Marla Raucher Osborn; Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Jewish Cemeteries; Vilnius, 2015.
- OpenStreetMap; website, ongoing. See also the Beginner’s Guide, the User’s Guide, and the Wiki.
- Jewish Heritage Europe / Have Your Say; Ruth Ellen Gruber for the Rothschild Foundation (Hanadiv) Europe (RFHE); web page, ongoing.
- European Routes of Jewish Heritage; website, ongoing.
- Centropa; website, ongoing.
- Trans.History; website, ongoing.
Examples and opportunities for promoting Jewish cemeteries include the cemetery portal of Jewish Heritage Europe, the AEPJ European Routes of Jewish Heritage (here showing features of the route through the Czech Republic), the Lost Shtetl project documenting Jewish Šeduva in Lithuania, and a progress report on restoration work at the Bagnówka Jewish cemetery in Białystok, Poland, on the Jewish Epitaphs website: